Open for Babies 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday (term time)
At all other times, Open to all
What is a Sensory Room?
A sensory room is a special, quiet space with a range of stimulating equipment to help your child with their sensory development. The multisensory room at Funky Town has many different features ranging from soft relaxing areas to interactive equipment all specially designed to support your child through the early stages of learning.
Why use a sensory room?
During the first 2 years of their life babies and toddlers learn using their sensory motor skills. At Funky Town we aim to assist this process through the use of our sensory room.
• Supports the development of communication
• Enhances sensory skills, hand-eye co-ordination and cause and effect response
• Assists the development of social and emotional skills
• Reduces tension and increase relaxation
• Provides fun and enjoyment
• Improves levels of concentration, alertness, calmness & general awareness
Who can benefit from a sensory room?
Young children can benefit from using a sensory room to develop fundamental sensory skills needed in later life. Sensory rooms are particularly useful for children with sight or hearing problems and have been proven to be extremely valuable to children with autism.
Items in the Funky Town Sensory Room.
• Bubble column
• Special lighting
• Projector to cast slow-moving images or colours around the walls
• Mirror ball with spotlight
• Fibre-optic sprays
• Music sound equipment
• Mirrored wall
• Cushions and vibrating pillows
• Panels with a variety of textures such as rough surfaces, stiff bristles,
• smooth mirrors, beads, or soft and squishy items are often also included.
• Electronic audiovisual stimulation
• Bubble blowers